Department: Art/Design | Updated: June 04, 2018
Cleveland Magazine, a publication of Great Lakes Publishing Co., currently has an opening for an Art Director – Custom Projects. We are looking for an extremely creative, energetic, organized individual to design and layout printed and graphic materials. A superior understanding of design concepts, typography, photography and software is key. Web design and photo skills are major pluses. The ideal candidate will work well under deadline pressure to perform routine and complex duties in the preparation of custom media. Customer service or client-relationship experience is a plus. The position will work closely with project editors and managers, as well as the Managing Editor, Custom Projects for Cleveland Magazine.
- Designs and produces custom print and digital media.
- Collaborates with editors and publishers.
- Conceptualizes and manages photo shoots.
- Conducts image research.
- Meets with clients to develop creative marketing and publishing solutions.
- Communicates with clients during project development to attain goals.
- Monitors and maintains quality throughout project (maintain quality to standards of both Great Lakes Publishing and our external clients)
- Take projects from concept to final delivery.
- Maintains and backs up files.
- 5-10 years of design experience, experience in publishing is preferable
- Outstanding portfolio displaying exceptional skills and creativity
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Familiar with Mac OS
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to direct and manage freelance artists and photographers
- Experience managing photo shoots
- Knowledge of digital photography and retouching
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Must take direction and assert ideas quickly
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail necessary in order to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Must work well in a deadline driven environment
- BFA in design or equivalent experience