Department: Art/Design | Updated: June 28, 2019
Cleveland Magazine, a publication of Great Lakes Publishing Co., has an opening for an Associate Art Director – Custom Projects. We are looking for an extremely creative, energetic and organized individual to design and implement printed and graphic materials. A superior understanding of design concepts, typography, photography and software is key. Web design and photo skills are major pluses. You should want to jump in and seize the opportunity to tell great magazine stories, while collaborating on ahead-of-the-curve ways to tell them. They should be fun because that’s who we are. The ideal candidate will work well under deadline pressure to perform routine and complex duties in the preparation of custom media. As an art director in our custom publishing division, this person should embrace the value of building client-driven relationships in which creativity and organization are critical. The position will work closely with project editors and managers, as well as the Managing Art Director for Custom Projects for Cleveland Magazine.
- Designs and produces custom media.
- Collaborates with editors and publishers.
- Conceptualizes and manages photo shoots.
- Conducts image research.
- Meets with clients to develop creative marketing and publishing solutions.
- Communicates with clients during project development to attain goals.
- Monitor and maintain quality throughout project (maintain quality to standards of both Great Lakes Publishing and our external clients)
- Take projects from concept to final delivery.
- Maintains and backs up files.
- 1-5 years of design experience, experience in publishing preferable
- Outstanding design portfolio displaying exceptional typographic and layout skills
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Familiar with Mac OS
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Strong understanding of print design and print production
- Ability to direct and manage freelance artists and photographers
- Experience managing photo shoots
- Knowledge of digital photography and retouching
- Experience creating website prototypes and collaborating on digital strategy and site development
- Web knowledge including responsive design and creating cross-platform digital assets
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Must take direction and assert ideas quickly
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail necessary in order to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Must work well in a deadline driven environment
- Excellent collaborator and team player with strong work ethic
- BFA in design or equivalent experience
Send cover letter containing salary requirement along with resume and work samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org (SUBJECT LINE: Associate Art Director Application). No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates will be contacted.