Cleveland Magazine, a monthly lifestyle magazine covering Northeast Ohio, gives its readers the best of Cleveland through strong service journalism and thought-provoking stories. Cleveland Magazine attracts readers who live and work in Northeast Ohio and want to know more about their community. As it has for 50 years, the magazine brings this prosperous audience a monthly editorial package that is entertaining, relevant, informative and helps its readers live their best Cleveland life. Covering topics as diverse as best places to live, top restaurants, things to do each weekend, history and the region’s movers and shakers, Cleveland Magazine provides the information its readers both need and want in a stimulating, award-winning environment.
Cleveland Magazine is currently seeking a Managing Editor. We’re looking for a versatile editor with experience editing magazine-style features and stories for print and digital, writing and reporting. The ideal candidate possesses well-honed editing and rewriting skills, a detail-oriented approach and the ability to multitask seamlessly.
- Develop and edit stories for Cleveland Magazine, including longform features
- Assign, edit and manage cover packages and special sections
- Prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Work with a young staff to produce high-quality content across multiple platforms
- Work with art directors to execute editorial vision through photos and design
- Copyedit all editorial pages
- Rewrite copy and check facts as needed
- Meet all editorial and production deadlines for print and digital
- Attend occasional evening business networking events
- A degree in communications, journalism or a related field
- 5 or more years of experience in newspaper, magazine or trade journalism
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills
- 4-6 clips that show skill at vivid magazine writing
- Solid grounding in journalism ethics and values
- Must take direction and assert ideas quickly
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Professional experience as a copy or desk-level editor extremely helpful
- Familiarity with magazine-style writing, editing and content marketing
- Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus
- Social media experience a plus
Send cover letter containing salary requirements along with resume and work samples to: Editorial Department, Great Lakes Publishing, 1422 Euclid Ave. Suite 730, Cleveland, OH 44115; or email to email@example.com with the Subject Line of, “Managing Editor, Cleveland Magazine”. No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates will be contacted.